Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tom Cruise Space Janitor: Oblivion Review


    So, I don't post for a good week or two, and when I do, it's a movie that's already been out for two weeks?? How does THAT make sense? Again, college life. But, hey, summer's about to start, and I intend to do everything I can to hit as many summer movies as I possibly can (including video reviews :D) so, that should make up for it. That said, let's talk about Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman in space. Do I really need to elaborate on that?? Oh wait, that's...kinda why I'm here. Here's my review of Oblivion.
    It's the year 2077, and the earth has been decimated by a war with the alien race knows as the Scavs. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) and his romantic partner Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) are part of a "clean-up crew," given the task of surveying Earth for any survivors, retrieving any salvageable resources, and staving off any potential threats left on the planet. While out doing a surveillance run, Jack comes across a woman named Julia (Olga Kurylenko), who they discover has been in cryogenic sleep for 60 years. Julia leads Jack to an underground militia of humans led by Malcolm Beech (Morgan Freeman). There, Jack's understanding of the world and reality is turned upside-down, and now he must fight to stay alive and preserve the human race.
    What can I say? I didn't expect much from this film. I expected this to be a typical sci-fi popcorn flick. I mean, no offense to Tom Cruise, I think he's a talented guy, but...I just didn't see him and science fiction mixing very well. I would like to now shake Mr. Cruise's hand for proving me 100% wrong. I did not enjoy Oblivion on a fun, goofy standard, but on the level of a legitimately interesting and commendable film. I'm sure others will disagree and present their cases, but, personally, I was really drawn in by this one.
    First of all, Tom Cruise simply oozes charisma. That's just what he does. It's what he's good at. He sucks you into his character's dilemmas without much effort at all. Morgan Freeman is Morgan Freeman, not much to say there, other than to gush about his appearance in the film. His outfit is just simply awesome. Victoria and Julia both serve their purpose well, although I think Riseborough could probably afford to work on selling emotions other than confused. She looks really lost through the majority of the movie.
    The way Oblivion was advertised, my expectations plot-wise were pretty low. I now understand why the trailers gave the movie such a basic outline. There are so many twists and turns in this plot that if the trailers gave away any more than they did, it would've been too much spoiled. What Jack comes to learn about the world and the history that he thought he knew is really fascinating, and keeps the film from being anywhere near predictable. I simply adore a plot that makes you rethink an entire hour of story that you just watched, and that's what Oblivion does really well. It keeps you guessing.
    Now, why don't we get into the one thing everybody presumably picked up from the trailers: visuals. Visually speaking, the film is breathtaking. I'm a really visual person, and I can never get enough of those moments in a film where there's no dialogue, no action or conflict, and it's just a sweeping orchestral score complimenting a beautiful backdrop. When a film lets you breathe and take in the scenery it has to offer...that just demonstrates so strongly for me the power and depth of film as a medium. This movie definitely has that element to it, and it is wonderful.
    Oblivion really came as a surprise to me. It went so far beyond the simple fun ride I had anticipated. I think it's safe to call this the first summer blockbuster of 2013, even though the summer season doesn't actually kick off until this coming weekend, 2 weeks after Oblivion's release. It's gonna be difficult for the bulk of this summer's line-up to beat Oblivion, in my case. This is a film that is always interesting, very endearing, and visually stunning to no end. The flaws are few and forgivable, and you're left with a truly memorable science fiction experience. Sci-fi fans, be sure to seek this one out. And, as always, thanks for reading!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment