Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Man Who Would Be Racially Inclusive: 42 Review

    Why do I keep putting out reviews in the middle of the week as opposed to the weekends when the films are released? Two words: college student. Anyhoo, we got a sports movie this week. Sports films are not usually my thing, with few exceptions. The closest thing to a sports film I've watched in the past year, in fact, was The Hunger Games, and I hardly think fans of this genre would count that. That said, this one intrigued me. Here's my review of 42.
    It's the tail-end of the 1940's and Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford), owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers and the lesser known Montreal Royals, is looking to add an African American ball player to his Brooklyn team in order to break the color barrier in the sport. His pick is California native Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman), whose impressive record immediately draws Rickey's eye. Robinson is tried out for a season playing for the Royals, and, after not only proving himself, but far exceeding expectations, he is given a contract with the Dodgers. With the support of only his wife Rachel (Nicole Beharie), black reporter Wendell Smith (Andre Holland), and Rickey backing him up, Robinson sets out to wade through the racism, segregation, and every other problem he is forced to encounter, in order to prove his worth and leave his mark on the sport of baseball.
    Let me just say, this was one of my highly anticipated movies of the year. The first time I saw this trailer, I got really excited. It looked like it was going to hit all of the right notes that make a great and memorable sports film, and I was ready for it. It is with this in mind that I must report the dread that sank in during the first fifteen minutes of this film. 42 has some of the choppiest and hastiest exposition I've seen in a film in a while. The set up is extremely rushed, and it makes it difficult to care about any of the characters on screen. It would take a LOT to come back from this mess of an opening and engross an audience in this story...
    Luckily, this film does just that. The rest of the movie is positively captivating. As soon as the plot begins moving along, to say one can get engrossed in the film is a grand understatement. This is due in large part to the performances of Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford. These two become engulfed in their roles. Boseman shows a deep dedication to a portrayal of Robinson that honors the legacy of the man properly. Ford, meanwhile, is no stranger to drawing audiences in with as little as a facial expression, and he submits a performance that is stern, bold, passionate, yet funny and quirky all at the same time. It is a very fascinating character. One role I really enjoyed, albeit a minor role, was John C. McGinley as "The Ol' Readhead," an enthusiastic radio announcer who chronicles Jackie Robinson's career. He's not in the movie for very long, but he shines when he is on screen.
    A film like this cannot be done without proper writing and storytelling. Now, I actually know very little about the actual true story, so I am unable to touch the degree of historical accuracy in the film. That having been said, what is presented here is some truly memorable and powerful moments. This is a film that has a heart to it, and displays its characters in a very relatable human sense. The dialogue, especially that involving Harrison Ford, is sometimes mind-boggling...in a good way...a very, very good way!!
    42 is, in fact, a sports film done right. It breaks free from a lot of conventions and clichés that have become routine in the genre. This is not the traditional sports story. It is much more than that. This is a film that displays a great love for Jackie Robinson and his story of triumph over discrimination. That love is shown through very compelling characters, very engrossing dialogue, and drama and tension that keep your eyes glued to the screen at all times. It is such a shame that the first fifteen minutes of this movie were so poorly done, because the other 90% or so I can easily call a fantastic sports movie and a wonderfully-told tale of human triumph. As always, thanks for reading!! :D

    

No comments:

Post a Comment